I lose mapping in winter on occasion '01 V70 2.4T

flbchbm

USA location. Usually in temps below 30F it tends to "lose the performance mapping" and is back to stock performance mapping. I have tried MANY brands of 91octane gas and even some 93, but it still does it. Guaranteed to happen EVERY winter. It stays that way 1-30 minutes (since I don't drive long distance that much) or sometimes when I shut it off and back on. What the fudge is going one? I am highly upset with this issue.
'01 V70 2.4T

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Hello wallygator,

I do not fully understand what you mean by 'loose mapping'. The tuned maps are stored into the eprom and can not change. In your case there is only one mapping zone, so no special mappings for different temperature ranges. I think that the car goes into some kind of limp mode or a sensor is causing the problem. Is the problem the same with cold and warm engine? This is a very curious problem, and I'm pretty sure it is not software related.

How does the 'back to stock' mapping feels like? Does the car arrive high speed or is it limited? Can it be some kind of limp mode?

flbchbm

Sorry, I was in a hurry. What I mean is it acts just like it is stock (without) the upgrade. EXACTLY like stock. If you think it's a sensor, what one could possibly malfunction during winter and no other time.

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, indeed it is a very strange problem! For Diesel engines it is known that low quality diesel can cause problems in Winter, but for gasoline it's quite uncommon. Do you have the chance to read the error codes? Is the problem also when the car is garaged? I'm asking this to verify if it is intake air related or to 'frozen' sensor. It's quite confusing, since we have low temperatures all the winter here in Austria, and never had a problem like this before.. ???

flbchbm

It doesn't throw any codes at all. The car is not garaged. It happens any time during the day or night, first time starting up or third or fourth in a series of in town driving.

flbchbm

Zitat von valois:
Wally, what is your boost level? if you cycle the ignition key off/on does your power return?

I don't knowthe boost level since I don't have a gauge yet. If I remember correctly, it does come back after turning off/on every time. Now today I left my apartment and it was running like stock, but as I took off at a light it hesitated and started running modified again.

Also, although it happens in winter time a lot, it did it on a 53F day. Needless to say it is very frustrating.

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
This really sounds like a mechanical problem to me. As mentioned the chip does not change and it reacts the same all the time.

The problem is that not all errors cause an error code. I would suggest to first check the MAF Sensor, it's known to be a weak part, and if defective (or out of limits) not all the time a fault code it thrown. Maybe the turbo hosing is leaking somewhere and cold weather is expanding the problem.

We can of course offer you to bring the car back to stock, but I'm pretty sure the problem will remain. Very curious problem indeed :mad:

René

Limp mode is triggered to protect the engine, without monitoring your boost it's hard to say, you need to get a boost gauge. What is probably happening is you are requesting 1 bar of boost I.E. 15 psi under load and acceleration, but your Diverter Valve is sticky and leaking boost When the closed loop boost control system does not see the 15 psi it has requested it shuts boost down to minimum to protect the turbo. When you cycle the key the limp mode is reset. A wastegate that is hanging up can do the same thing, if it does not completely close.

flbchbm

Well, it's summer now and it has not done it since winter. I have also been riding my motorcycle more so I don't have as many trips. I will look at the turbo hoses and all hoses in general. It is definitely affected by lower temperatures.

flbchbm

Re: I lose mapping (performance) in winter on occasion '01 V70 2.4T

Time for an update! This winter I have NOT experienced the issue one single time. I have not changed anything on the car other than the oil. I still get me gas from multiple sources since the prices are ever changing and so high here. Whatever the ghost was, has taken residence in somebody elses car.....I hope.....

another question though. I am finally buying a boost gauge and need to know what psi I should see for max boost.

you know what, another question. What experience have you had with the heavier duty and cleanable IPD turbo control valve?

Ali

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
hello,

great, that you have not experienced this problem anymore. please let me know the stock power of your Volvo for the max. turbo boost.

regards

Ali

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
hello,

thanks for the info. you should have the low pressure turbo, which makes 0.5 bar originally and 0.7 to 0,8 bar with the tuning.

regards

flbchbm

Re: I lose "mapping" hi-performance in winter on occasion - USA '01 V70 2.4T

Yes, Low Pressure. I could have told you that. I converted it on a website and came up with this:

at sea level:
.5 7.252
.7 10.153
.8 11.603

at 330ft or 100meters: (I live at 300ft and commute to 400ft)
.5 7.113
.7 10.014
.8 11.464

flbchbm

Re: I lose mapping performance in winter on occasion '01 V70 2.4T

Lose, not loose. In my earlier post I said: "What I mean is it acts just like it is stock (without) the upgrade. EXACTLY like stock."

No extra power, no extra boost. Takes more pedal. Like there is no modified mapping. Like a stock, new car.

And the winter of 09/10 I did not experience it. That is two winters free of the issue! I will never know what it was either. Of course, I am assuming it will not happen this winter either....

flbchbm

??? Make adjustments ??? what "adjustments IN my car" are you talking about......... ???

Also, I posted:
"And the winter of 09/10 I did not experience it. That is two winters free of the issue! I will never know what it was either. Of course, I am assuming it will not happen this winter either...."

Well, it did NOT happen 10/11 winter.....Nada, nichts, rien, ingenting, hooray!