Must have more power!

colucci

I already email Rene about this, but I thought I'd post something here as well. In Europe, Superchips offers that ability to custom program their chips for your specific car. Sooty (John) on Fred's TDI Page has done this to achieve 151 hp from his MkIII 90 hp TDI.
While I'm not sure I can hit those numbers, I'm intersted in a high power version of your software. Better yet, a way to customize it to my specific car. This may all be "pie in the sky", but it can't hurt to ask. What are your thoughts on this Alex? Thanks.
D'nardo
already chipped ;)

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
In fact it is always possible to make a special chip for a specific car. Remember that not all engines are 100% the same but they are pretty close to each other. So sometimes a chip does not produce any smoke at one engine, and does produce some at another... ;) But to be there is no Version to get out 151 hp out of a 90hp TDI...? I'm a little confused about that. You can get this out of an 110TDI...?
So the main reason for a special chip is either the car has been modified already (differnt turbo or stuff...) or the car has some troubles (to much smoke)...
hope this helps...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

M

mickey

In North America the MKIV 90hp TDIs use the same variable geometry turbo as the European 110hp and 115hp engines, so more power is possible. The only real difference between our 90s and the European 110s is tuning and the size of the injectors, and possibly the intercooler. A 90hp North American MKIV TDI should be able to hit 150hp with enough modification, including exhaust, injectors, intercooling, etc. A chip alone probably won't do it.
-mickey

colucci

Sooty's fabled 151 hp TDI is a 90 hp GT15 turbo'd 1996 MkIII Golf!!! Some of his major engine mods are; 2.5" downpipe, 3" straight through exhaust (no-cat), K&N cone filter, EGR disconnected, PCV bypass. No turbo or intercooler mods!
What makes his power is the custom programmed Superchips in the ECU. He just explained to me that he did this at the S'chips dealer with the car hooked up to "various sensors - turbo boost (both post turbo and intake) along with EGT, and IAT (pre & post intercooler & intake) settings". He futher explains "Whilst the boost is very high at 24psi the highest IAT reading I’ve had is only 51deg C which doesn’t automatically necessitate a secondary intercooler..."
What I'm getting out of this is that it's hazardous to get much more power than the 115 hp chips now have, without customizing for each individual car. That said, I REALLY want to do this. Aside from the performance issue, I only get 42 mpg (US) and I smoke quite a bit at low rpm, full throttle. I believe customizing the chips to my car could not only give me better power, but also better economy and less smoke. I want it all!!! ;)
D'nardo
PS. I love how the British say "whilst". I don't know, it just cracks me up :D

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Wow, the new 90hp Golfs over here also have the variable turbo... 150 is however pretty much anyway... ;)
let's see what time will bring...
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com