Wow, first day (night) and already some postings

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Wow, it really seems that this board will let us all learn a lot (maybe for me more than for you). So let's start with lesson one.
I have really some troubles with some terms you use especially for the cars, it's a little confusing....fe.
2000Jetta does mean a Jetta from Y2K..correct? This is a little confusing, since it's called Bora over here, but I got it..(I guess)
A4..??? Do you mean Audi A4? Don't think so, or do you mean Golf IV or what? ...still confused..
MKIII...???
You know different countries, different terms...so if someone has the time to answer some of these or compile a list I would really apreciate it...
thanks
...alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

RobStone

Alex,
Yes, a 2000Jetta would be a Y2K Bora, probably a MY2000 (manufactured in the year 2000).
The 'A' numbers are the platforms (chassis) used for different versions of the VW group's Golf sized cars. For example, the origional version of the Golf used the A1 platform and the latest version uses the A4 platform.
Mk is an abbreviation of 'Mark', so MkI (Mark one) was the first version and MkIV (Mark four) is the fourth version.
So we get:
A1 = MkI = Golf I (Rabbit in the US)
A2 = MkII = Golf II & Jetta
A3 = MkIII = Golf III & Vento
A4 = MkIV = Golf IV & Bora (also Audi A3, Audi TT, Skoda Octavia & Seat Tolledo)
Hope that helps
------------------
1996 Golf III TDi (current)
1988 Golf II 4+E (previous)

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
Thanks a lot, things are much clearer now.. ;)
In Europe we only call it GolfIV...
or a '4er Kastl' wich means pretty the same as mk3...
thanks a lot for the excelent explanation...
.alex
------------------
Alex
technical support
www.upsolute.com

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
B5 I know ;)
...alex
------------------