Upsolute, Tuning Box, and Code 17969

TDI Believer

I already know that you don't recommend running a tuning box with the Upsolute chip. I and others are doing it anyway. I am using the Original Tuning Box from New Dimensions on my 2000 Jetta TDI and I have the normal Upsolute chip for the 90 hp TDI engine. If the adjuster on the tuning box is turned beyond a certain point, the ECU shuts down the engine and a code 17969 (P1561) is registered.
My question: Can the chip be modified to eliminate this problem at all tuning box settings? I would like to be able to adjust the tuning box any way I want to without getting the code. I am fully aware that the engine shutdown occurs to protect the engine. I want to adjust the box to higher settings for special events like a drag race.
Rich

Alex

Technical Support
Mitarbeiter
Administrator
You are right about the protection of the engine and normally it should also stop the fuel injection at this point. This is because the ECU thinks the Injection system is defective. We never made testing about this, so I can not really answer this question, but however I'm pretty sure there is no way, since the injection reports an 'error' and the Car reacts by dropping the injection. The only way would be to increase the fuel at the chip, but this would not solve the problem about the box, but you would not need the box anymore ;). Not recommended anyway only maybe to make a switchable chip (normal power ... and ... "upsolute - burn out - wheel spin - smoke like a burning tire - engine kill - power ;)) or something like that... :D ...no... I don't think that's an good idea ;) ...or?...no
...alex

------------------
Alex
technical support www.upsolute.com

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 09-05-2000).]

Alex:
I run the same combo of ECU enhancing mods that TDI Believer and have noticed that lower underhood temps or lowering the air temp to the engine helps reduce this error code.
What suggestions do you have regarding lowering air and fuel temperatures?

TDI Believer

I would be willing to dump the tuning box if I could get more fuel from just the chip. Even now with the chip and the tuning box on my A4, it only smokes a little at full throttle. Since the tuning box can add power on top of the chip, there is obviously more power that is possible by having the fuel maps on the chip raised even further.
Alex?